Get Ready For a One-Two Punch

Two Storms, Back to Back
In my last post, I laid out storms and timing. I am happy to report that not much has changed. We have a smaller storm just now coming ashore in Northern California. On its heels, we have a much larger storm. The two storms are going to pack a strong one-two punch. Here is the 84 hour precip chart:


These two storms should drop around 3-5 inches of liquid precip in the Sierra. I am guessing very similar amounts in the Carson range. That should translate to about 3-6 feet of snow by Sunday. The heaviest band appears to be set for Thursday night and Friday, here is the GFS forecast for Thursday afternoon as the big storm approaches:



As of now it looks like the best days to hit the POW are still Thursday and Saturday. However these storms and a third storm are coming in so close, it could snow right through this weekend.

How Long Can This Last?
My friends at Unofficial Mt. Rose (See link on right of post) have labeled this the March Miracle. Quite appropriately if I may add. Can this last into April and beyond?

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it looks like the storm cycle is going to wind down next week as high pressure begins to dominate the area. Of course, long range forecasting in March is at best, guessing. I will fine tune a possible change for next week in my next post.

Stay Tuned ...

Comments